Wednesday, 31 October 2012

WOYWW - It's amazing just how uninspiring underglaze can be

... and just how doubly amazing it is to see that pale finish transform into something completely different to what you have expected.

So I was excited this evening to paint on some uninspiring underglaze


which will go in the kiln tomorrow evening and hopefully turn into something lovely.  The glaze colour was Cranberry Frost for the flower and Schwartz for the centre and pico edge.  The only thing that I am a little concerned about is that I kept finding tiny spots of black as I was painting the Cranberry Frost, which I was duly dragging off with the point of a skewer ... it was only once I'd done most of them I realised that it was in the glaze - and should probably not be got rid of - so I am not sure how it will turn out.  The last one has some of the bits left in place for me to compare.  I glazed the outside as well, but left the bottom unglazed.

This next shot is even more boring


and uninspiring painted on - it's Heirloom Silver apparently, but it just looks a very, very dark mud colour.

The next shot is just a wider shot of my desk after I had finished with the poppies.


Unfortunately, I accidentally dropped one of the darn things as I took them out of the kiln this morning after the bisque firing, which put me one down on the numbers I needed, so I had to make another one.  That's drying off now for a few days, and by the time I am ready to glaze it I will know the outcome of leaving/or not leaving the bits in the Cranberry Frost.

I'm off to Eastbourne this morning to pick up a Vernier Callipher so that I can accurately measure some of the beads I made last week, and put them in the Shop for sale.  Hopefully when I get back I can grab a coffee and head off over to Fair Queen Julia's Kingdom of Crafting Desks to see what's going down.

Happy Wednesday.

Hugs

Kay


11 comments:

Sue said...

Those flowers are incredible and I must go now and have a look at your beads...they are somewhere on your blog?...have fun:)
xx

Julia Dunnit said...

Loved your comment about MCM! Exactly our experience: a friendly, non threatening environment and when she was too young and we lurked about, was more than happy to leave h to it. These days of course, I just drop her at the bus station for the first leg of her journey, but am happy that she's secure I must say. They had a fab time.
I'm not bored by your photos at all, I find your styling and learning curve quite fascinating....there's a lot of faith involved, huh!!

Annie said...

I'm sat reading my WOYWW blogs on my sick bed this week but have my mask on so you don't catch anything. I'm enjoying reading what everyone is up to this week [it's better than reading magazines :-) ]. I'm leaving a copied comment so you know I've called by because my hands are too weak and shaky to keep typing out my comments this week.
Big hugs,
A x #93

belldoubleyou said...

Oh dear, you're right, the underglaze is pretty blah to look at -- but that means we can look forward to seeing amazing colors next week, right?

(haven't posted yet, so no number yet)

Lottie said...

What what stunning poppies - how I would love to get my hands on some of them = poppies are one of my favourite flowers.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Look forward to seeing how they turn out, they look pretty amazing as they are! Chris 126

Caz said...

interesting to see the work in progress for a craft I know nothing about!!
Will be back next week to (hopefully) see the finished poppies!
Have a good week
Caz
#137

Robin Spitzer said...

Those came out beautiful! How fun to see something so different on WOYWW. I can't wait to see them completed. Off to go look at the rest of your blog! Happy Halloweenie!

Andrea said...

sorry im late to many to visit on one day the poppies look fab I hope they turn out as you expected and cant wait to see the finished result ,have a fab week and enjoy x#77

KatzElbows said...

I love seeing your projects and wondering how they'll turn out. I have high hopes for the poppies; can't wait to see them.

Happy WOYWW,
rachel #47

Morti said...

Not having been by your blog in a while, I think I need to go look at the rest of it to see how you wound up doing ceramics and glazing. Yes, you'll probably find that the black bits in the cranberry glaze were vitally important to the finish - I did that once at 6th form with an olive green glaze. The bits I missed produced a lovely spotted effect once fired....!

Off for a snoop...

Morti #49