Wednesday, 2 January 2013

WOYWW ... and now for something completely different

Just for a change, and for those that visit from different countries, rather than show you what's on my desk at the moment I thought I would share a bit of video taken yesterday of the Punnetts Town Mummers.

Warbleton is the next village over from us, and so we decided to pop up to watch one of our neighbours who's taking part.

Every New Year's Day they set off from Punnetts Town (East Sussex) and process/dance through the lanes to the little hamlet of Warbleton .... along the way each house provides them with food and drink (not always of the soft variety I believe), they dance a bit and move on.

Actually, I am in awe of them as it is quite a few miles, and they must be exhausted when they arrive at the Black Duck (incidentally, it's a lovely pub, typically quaint and with lovely food).  They then dance quite a few more dances and perform the traditional Mummers Play, then all into the pub to make merry.



If ever you get the chance to go, I would highly recommend it ... actually, there is a bit of me that would love to join!

Happy WOYWW, and to see all the super interesting desks hop over to Fair Queen Julia's kingdom.

Hugs

Kay

8 comments:

okienurse said...

Awesome mpeg Kay! I was sitting here watching and grinning like a cheshire cat! It looks so fun and everyone seems to be enjoying themselves dancing. I will add this to my lists of things I would love to do! Hope you have a Happy and Prosperous New Year! I look forward to seeing your posts in 2013! Vickie #17

Kate said...

Not sure what image this gives to our foreign friends!! Great for a special occasion and presumably their travels to the pub fortified them for their journey.

** Kate *8

Eliza said...

Now they look like they are having some serious fun, I am sure the food helps and the beverages (wink wink)

Happy New Year
Eliza

Lottie said...

What a great video - you'll be joining in next year then?

Tracey said...

What a lovely video and of course you must join in next year. Thanks for sharing this Tracey R ±48

Helen said...

Great to see these really old traditions still alive and kicking - or should that be dancing? Maybe we'll see you next year... Helen, 4

Nan G said...

What fun! What a lot of work to do all that dancing and walking for miles! Thanks for sharing! New Year's greetings! Nan 78

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh! Go on -join-you know you want to!! Happy New Year! Chris#70